Friday, February 10, 2017

What If Curiosity Didn't Kill The Cat?

“Curiosity about life in all of its aspects, I think, is still the secret of great creative people” – Leo Burnett

As Leo Burnett so eloquently states, the key to unlocking creativity is to become curious about the world around us. They say that curiosity kills the cat, but I beg to differ. 

For instance, I adore writing poetry despite the fact that it is the most challenging form of writing for me. When it comes to poetry, I feel that my spectrum ranges from "wow did you write that?" to "wow, what were you thinking Ashley?" depending on the day.


 I have found that coming up with ideas for writing creative pieces is the hardest part however, if you write about things that you observe then you are more likely to succeed. Therefore, if you are more curious about the world around you, then you have plenty of material to write about. 


In my creative writing course at UCF we had to write a poem in order to convey an emotion by only using the objects that we saw around our rooms. I will post it here because I'm slightly proud of it despite the fact that it is a rough draft.... What emotion do you think that I am trying to get across?


Image result for please dont hate me meme





Mama says I'm special
So the Bubba Gump license plate sneers;
But is that really so?
Mama would say I'm special while ignoring
My big textbooks gathering dust,
Cast aside in frustration
Taunting the withered black and orange
Flower in a small bottle about to topple over;

The strain of metallic necklaces
Cling on to their necklace holder
Each one tugging the thing down, down, down
While the dusty, forgotten glass rose
Stands alone in its vase, waiting for someone to notice
Its perch; its precarious position;
Right on the edge

The rose sulks at the empty vase,
Clear as day and as pure as nothing
Which sits isolated, collecting dust at the rim.

"Let me be the fashion queen"
Says the frame above my head.
It disregards the fact that it shall fall
When it falls, it shall shatter


It's just that close to oblivion...

4 comments:

  1. For some reason, my font was not staying consistent in my draft but I got frustrated and posted it any way lol. Sorry about that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the voice in your poem and the perspective. I think that curiosity is something that we have to keep alive in our students to feed their writing and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your poem, Ashley! The words like "sulk," "shatter," "alone," "forgotten," "oblivion," etc are the ones that stick out to me in regard to the emotion you are trying to convey. I feel like there's a lot of self-doubt in your piece. What were you trying to go for?

    Keep writing creatively! I'd love to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,
    I feel like I'm in the situation that you explained in the beginning of your post about coming up with ideas to write about, in any form of writing. You make a great point by saying that we should use the world around us, because there are so many great ideas waiting for us!

    ReplyDelete