Wednesday, January 18, 2017

"That tall Girl Who Really Likes School"

Hello! My name is Ashley Wilkinson, otherwise know as "that tall girl who really likes school"!

I have wanted to be a teacher ever since my grandmother let me set up her elementary classroom when I was five. I discovered that I loved school from a very young age and this has carried me through a variety of tough classes. At Oviedo High, I was commonly referred to as the "tall girl", which is true but painfully obvious (I would have at least three people mention that every single day). I really enjoy creative writing like poetry and short fiction stories as well as analyzing literature. I worked in the media center at OHS for two years and read the biggest books I could find so I could discuss them with the librarian.

 One of my goals in life is to not shy away from hard work but rather embrace it. I am very passionate about rekindling the love of reading in my future students and incorporating passion for learning, creativity and authentic discussion within my classroom.

My life quote is as follows;















Here are a few things that I love; they are the things that shape who I am and perfectly describe my personality!





I absolutely adore Gone With the Wind (both the book and the movie)! Vivien Leigh, who plays Scarlett O'Hara, is my favorite actress because she perfectly executed the strong, manipulative, charming and powerful character that I both admired and hated and I felt that her performance did justice to the novel.











I also love to cook and bake! I like to create any dishes that are challenging and extremely flavorful. Not only do I love this show, but I am also slightly in love with Bobby Flay :)













When life becomes very challenging, I have only one hope to cling to and that is my faith in God. Without God, I would not be where I am today and I trust that He will guide me as I fulfill my purpose.








                               Coffee gets me where I'm going and I drink it WAY too often!









The Great Gatsby is one of my favorite novels because Fitzgerald's style is so colorful and descriptive. I also love the 1920's (it's my favorite era) and I love the fact that Fitzgerald commemorates the American Dream in this novel while also using Gatsby as an example of the American Dream being dangerous and unattainable.  











 "Hotel California" by the Eagles is my favorite song of all time. I love how this song feels relaxed because of the musical composition despite the fact that the lyrics are panicky and warn you not to fall into the trap (Hotel California). There are many interpretations to this song and I feel like I find a new meaning every time I listen to it!  







I respect and admire Maya Angelou and I love this quote in particular because it speaks against hate. As a future teacher, I want to advocate for diversity in the classroom and be a positive influence on my students because we live in a very negative day and age. Angelou is totally right, hate only creates problems. As a teacher, I will strive to solve problems rather than create them!












9 comments:

  1. I love how you used images to tell us about you! The layout made the post compelling! Good work getting started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ashley!
    I've never read or seen Gone with the Wind and I'm pretty ashamed to say so. My sister in law absolutely loves Gone with the Wind! They actually have a showing every once in a while at the Enzian Theater in Maitland which is supposed to be really fun to go to. You should check it out sometime! I, on the other hand, am going to make a point to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh thank you so much, I will definitely check that out! You should read GWTW because it is so informative about the Civil War and it also shows us how women were "supposed" to act in the time period versus how Scarlett, while extremely selfish, learned to go against what others think and advance herself in society.

      Delete
    2. The Enzian is amazing! My husband and I go all the time :)

      Michelle Kuhn

      Delete
  3. Hey. I'm also in the sad category of people not very well versed in Gone with the Wind, but I absolutely love your Maya Angelou quotes. Your last quote definitely seems like something that would be great in a classroom. I can also relate to your love of cooking shows. My partner is a chef so we watch cooking shows together and yell stuff at the TV (usually while eating pizza or ice cream). Our favorite is Chopped and it amuses me how much you actually learn from watching those shows. I'm looking forward to a semester with others who enjoy school and literature as much as I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, I love cooking couples (I used to do that all the time with my ex and that is the thing I miss most abut our relationship)! I look forward to this semester with you as well :)

      Delete
  4. Ashley,

    I appreciate your use of images to communicate your personality and interests. I share many passions with you! I am also a Christian. I also love your taste in books and the importance you want to place on authenticity and diversity in your future classroom.

    Michelle Kuhn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,

    I also have a tendency to fall into dangerous holes where I spend way, way too long watching cooking shows. There's something about em, I don't know what it is, hahah. It's cool that you lean toward poetry and short stories, as that is what I most frequently write and read. I'm also the biggest music nerd I know, so I'm not sure why I didn't mention many of the bands I liked too, but I'm glad you're into music as well : )

    ReplyDelete